SERVING the EAST BAY / ALAMEDA COUNTY: Castro Valley, San Leandro, Hayward, Oakland, Alameda, CA
Complete the form below or call today to get started and schedule your next massage therapy session!
Swedish Massage Therapy Services
A soothing compilation of massage techniques for deep relaxation. I bring my own experience and blend of modalities to suit your body’s needs. This nurturing style of massage helps increase circulation and promotes your body’s own healing.
Ready to book a session?
Give me a call today!
What is a Swedish massage?
Swedish massage is a therapeutic massage that combines techniques to relax the body and mind. It was developed in the 19th century by Swedish physiologist Per Henrik Ling and is now one of the most popular types of massage worldwide.
During a Swedish massage, the therapist uses long, smooth strokes, kneading, and circular movements on the topmost layers of the muscles. The pressure can be light or firm, depending on the client’s preference and the therapist’s assessment of their needs. The therapist may also use tapping, friction, and deep tissue techniques to help release tension and promote relaxation.
What are some benefits of Swedish massages?
Swedish massage can offer a range of benefits to the body and mind. Here are some of the most common benefits associated with this type of massage:
- Reducing muscle tension: Swedish massage can help relieve muscle tension and stiffness by increasing blood flow to the affected areas, promoting relaxation, and reducing pain.
- Improving circulation: The long, flowing strokes used in Swedish massage can help improve circulation and oxygen flow in the body, leading to better overall health and well-being.
- Promoting relaxation: Swedish massage is known for its relaxing effects on the body and mind. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, lower blood pressure, and promote better sleep.
- Relieving pain: Swedish massage can be an effective complementary therapy for managing pain associated with arthritis, fibromyalgia, and chronic lower back pain.
- Boosting immune function: Some research has suggested that Swedish massage may have immune-boosting effects, helping to increase the activity of white blood cells and improving the body’s ability to fight off infections.
What should you expect during a Swedish massage?
Before the massage begins, the therapist will likely ask you some questions about your health history, current symptoms, and any specific areas of the body you would like attention.
The therapist will typically start the massage with long, flowing strokes to warm up the muscles and promote relaxation. They may also use kneading, circular movements, and other techniques to release tension in specific body areas.
The therapist will check in with you periodically to ensure that the pressure being used is comfortable and effective for you. Feel free to speak up if you need more or less pressure at any point during the massage.
Once the massage is over, the therapist will give you tips for aftercare to allow you to make the most of your session.
How do you prepare for a Swedish massage?
Preparing for a massage is simple, but here are a few tips to get the most from the experience:
- Take a shower
- Eat a light meal and hydrate
- Use the restroom
- Arrive early
- Make a list of questions for the therapist
How long does a Swedish massage last?
Swedish massage can last from 30 to 80 minutes, depending on the client’s preference.
If you are in the greater East Bay Area, including Castro Valley, Hayward, San Leandro, Dublin, & Pleasanton, contact board-certified massage therapist Geri León today.